Happy Autistics Speaking Day! There is a saying that if you’ve met one Autistic, you’ve met one Autistic. In the spirit of this saying, and of the Autistics Speaking Event, I have decided to describe a number of things about myself for your interest.
- I can be up, shaved, face washed, dressed, bed made, breakfast eaten and out the door in under 40 minutes from my alarm going off.
- My stim is pacing, and I once walked 5km to get an ice cream.
- I find it far easier to communicate through the written word than through speech. This is because the written word gives me the time I need to organise my thoughts properly.
- I recycle my glass, metal, paper and most of my plastic. I also leave my geyser switched off for all but a few hours each day to save electricity.
- I’m a reader and commentator at my church.
- My blood type is O+; I donate blood; in 2009 I received a medal for reaching 50 donations; and less than 36 hours ago, I went and donated.
- I am afraid of heights, to the point that if I even dream I’m up a tall building I start to panic.
- I’m an animal lover, and I own a fishtank with at least 13 fish.
- I will never kill a spider, not even a dangerous one, and I’ve lost count of the number of sac spiders I’ve thrown out of my flat.
- I am brilliant at Algebra, but terrible at Euclidean Geometry.
- I’m a Software Test Analyst, and I learnt more about computers in the first two years of my job than in my entire life up till then.
- My dream job is to make documentaries, and if things had been different I’d probably be a Forensic Auditor.
- I’m an ardent bibliophile.
- As a child, my favourite author was Roald Dahl, and I still think that Matilda is the finest children’s book ever written. My favourite author as an adult is Terry Pratchett, author of the Discworld Series.
- I will never again read Dale Brown, Guy Bellamy, or Kathy Lette.
- I think Red Dwarf is the funniest television show ever.
- I find Reality TV boooorrrrriiiiinnnngggg!
- As a general rule, I dislike musicals, and I enjoyed “Mamma Mia!“
- My three favourite songs of all time are: “Bright Eyes” by Art Garfunkel; “I don’t want to wait” by Paula Cole; and “Sacrifice” by Elton John.
- I can eat almost any foodstuff apart from Tofu – I can’t digest it and it gives me an upset stomach.
- I’m sensitive to salt. As a child, Marmite would burn the skin around my lips, and I found bacon so salty I couldn’t eat it.
Last month, some organisations proposed a 24 hour Communication Shutdown to start on November 1st in support of Autistic people. The idea was roundly condemned by autistic bloggers, who pointed out that Social Networking was a boon to many autistics. In response, Corina Becker and Kathryn Bjornstad created the event Autistics Speaking Day on Facebook. I am one of the bloggers who joined.
We spoke. Thank you for listening to us.